The main objective of Changelly is to simplify the process of buying and trading cryptocurrencies when compared to the traditional cryptocurrency exchanges. That’s why it has developed a flexible platform which you can easily use to exchange from one cryptocurrency to another. Not only it supports the buying of altcoins, but it also supports tokens that are introduced through various ICO (Initial Coin Offering) token sale events. Changelly was launched in the year 2015 by the team members of MinerGate. Since then, it has achieved remarkable growth as the average number of transactions in a single day is more than 15K.
Is Changelly Exchange Safe?
You don’t need to worry about hackers as Changelly does not store your cryptocurrency coins. So, it’s only up to you to keep your coins safe either using a hardware or software wallet. Also, you don’t need to provide any kind of personal information to exchange coins. That’s why Changelly is a safe option to buy/trade your cryptos.
- 2FA (2 Factor Authentication)
- History of the past transactions can be viewed from your profile
- Exchange fee is fixed at 0.5%
- Easy to use as the GUI is simple
- Supports the exchange of more than 90 altcoins and tokens
- No need to provide any personal information like name, location etc. for trading on Changelly
- You don’t need to deposit your coins on Changelly to convert it to other cryptocurrencies
- Good liquidity
- Changelly does not lock the rates of your cryptos. Hence, final value at the end of the transaction may vary from the initial price
- Processing time is relatively long if the worth of the transaction is more than 1 BTC
- Changelly does not support payments through PayPal
- High fees (up to 10%) for processing card payments
- No transparency about the owners as its official website does not provide any information about them
How the Changelly Exchange Works
Changelly exchange does not have its own inventory of Bitcoins or other cryptocurrencies. Instead, it uses a robot to integrate with the popular crypto trading platforms like Poloniex, Bittrex etc. Once you give the request for exchanging the cryptos, the robot makes bids with the trading platforms and suggests the best available rates for the users. To put it simply, Changelly is like a retailer for cryptos and not a producer. That’s why it doesn’t have any control over the rates of the cryptocurrencies.
For example, let’s say that you want to buy some Litecoins (LTC) using Bitcoins (BTC). Let’s imagine that the value of 1 BTC was 8020 USD at the beginning of the transaction. Due to network delays, it took 20 minutes for the successful completion of your transaction. But, the value of BTC had changed to 8030 USD. As Changelly doesn’t support the concept of locking the rates, you need to pay 10 USD more than your estimated value. This is how it works.
Generally, the processing time varies from 5 to 30 minutes for every transaction. Most likely, you will get your coins in the wallet within 30 minutes from the time of order. That’s why Changelly is called an instant cryptocurrency exchange because the whole purchase process gets completed instantly.
Even though Changelly takes only 0.5% as commission for every transaction, the network fees are always floating. If the network is busy or overloaded, then the average transaction fee will go up. Alternatively, the fees will be low if there is no load. Mainly, the network fees depend on the number of pending transactions. More pending transactions mean higher network fees.
Unlike some other cryptocurrency exchanges, it doesn’t treat the customers who are making small investments in an unfair manner. It provides a fair policy for all the consumers irrespective of their investment amount.
Changelly Signup & Login Process
The Signup & Login process is very simple for the new as well as existing users. Because, you don’t need to provide any information like First name, Last name, Date of birth, Location etc. Just your email address is enough to start using Changelly. The whole registration process can be completed within a minute or two.
Sign up (Only for the new users):
- Go to Changelly and click the ‘Sign up’ link on the top right of the page.
- Now, you can create an account on Changelly using any of your existing accounts on Google+, Facebook or Twitter. Alternatively, you can use an email address from other providers. See the screenshot below.
- Once you provide the desired email address, you will be directly logged into your account. You will not receive any kind of confirmation/verification email to verify your account.
Note: If you choose the custom email option, Changelly will send you an email with a randomly generated password and you should use that password for logging on to the account.
- Go to Changelly and click the ‘Login’ link on the top right of the page.
- In the Signup process, if you have used any one of your Google+, Facebook or Twitter accounts, you can follow the same procedure for logging on to the Changelly
- Alternatively, if you have used any other email address, then you need to check your Inbox for the email from Changelly which contains the password. For keeping your account secure, click ‘My Account->Profile’ and set a new password after logging to your account for the first time.
Note: To enable 2FA, go to My Account-> Profile and click the ‘Enable’ button. Also, make sure that the Google Authenticator app is installed on your mobile. Because you need the generated code from the Google App to login to your Changelly account or to withdraw funds. 2FA security feature is not mandatory. You can turn on/off the 2FA any time you wish by visiting your profile page.
How to buy bitcoins from Changelly using a credit card?
You can use any 3D secure VISA or Master card to buy bitcoins on Changelly.
- Go to https://changelly.com/ , select USD on the left drop-down box and enter the desired amount. Then, enter the correct wallet address where you want to receive the coins and click the ‘Continue’ button after completing the captcha.
- A ‘Send To’ tab will come next here make sure you enter the correct wallet address.
- Now, complete all the details related to your billing like Name, Address, Country etc. Then, click the ‘Continue’ button.
- You will receive a verification email to your Inbox and a 4-digit code to your mobile number from Simplex. Complete the verification process as mentioned on your screen.
- Enter the details of your card like card number, expiry date, CVV etc and click ‘Pay now’ button.
- Upload a selfie of yourself by keeping the card in your hands. For security reasons, hide the middle 8 digits of the card number with your fingers.
- After uploading the selfie, wait for the verification to get completed.
- Within 30 minutes, you will receive the coins in your wallet and a receipt of your purchase from Changelly.
( Refer the ‘Limits’ section of this post, to know about the limitations on using the cards )
How to buy/trade altcoins on Changelly?
Besides bitcoin, you can buy any type of altcoin or token from Changelly as it supports more than 90+ cryptocurrency coins or tokens.
Let’s imagine that you want to buy Monero using your bitcoins. How does the exchange work? Check out the below step by step procedure:
- Go to https://changelly.com/
- Select ‘BTC’ on the left-hand side drop down box and ‘XMR’ on the right side combo box.
- Enter the desired amount of BTC and click ‘Exchange’.
- Now, you screen will show the exchange rate, fees and the estimated processing time as below.
- Click ‘Next’ button after you make a note of the above information.
- Type the wallet address of the recipient at which you will receive the Monero coins. Make sure that the address is correct before clicking the ‘Next’ button.
- You can see the summary of your order like Changelly fee, network transaction fee, estimated processing time, exchange rate etc.
- Click the ‘Confirm & Make payment’ button.
- Within 30 minutes you will get the receipt of your purchase like the one given below. And, your coins will be sent to the specified wallet address.
List of Top 20 countries supported by Changelly
There is no restriction based on your geographical location as Changelly is available in all the countries worldwide.
Accepted payment methods
· Credit cards – Changelly accepts any 3D-secure card irrespective of your country and currency. But, internally the transactions will be processed in USD or EUR. So, if your card is based on any other currency, exchange rate will be applicable.
· Cryptocurrencies – You can use one cryptocurrency to buy another. Like, you can buy Litecoins using bitcoins, ripple using Ethereum or Bitcoin cash using Monero. This is just an example as the permutation and combination for the exchange is left in the hands of the user.
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Bytecoin (BCN)
- Monero (XMR)
- DigitalNote (XDN)
- QuazarCoin (QCN)
- Fantomcoin (FCN)
- Dashcoin (DSH)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Dogecoin (DOGE)
- Dash (DASH)
- NuBits (NBT)
- Ripple (XRP)
- Next (NXT)
- Aeon (AEON)
- Radium (RADS)
- MaidSafeCoin (MAID)
- Factom (FCT)
- Synereo (AMP)
- Lisk (LSK)
- Ethereum Classic (ETC)
- Expanse (EXP)
- NEM (XEM)
- Steem (STEEM)
- LBRY Credits (LBC)
- Stratis (STRAT)
- Ardor (ARDR)
- Gulden (NLG)
- Augur (REP)
- Zcash (ZEC)
- NAV coin (NAV)
- Zclassic (ZCL)
- PotCoin (POT)
- GameCredits (GAME)
- Golem (GNT)
- Tether USD (USDT)
- Waves (WAVES)
- Swarm City (SWT)
- Golos (GOLOS)
- Melon (MLN)
- SingularDTV (SNGLS)
- Digix (DIGIX)
- Chronobank (TIME)
- Trustcoin (TRST)
- RLC iEx.ec
- Edgeless (EDG)
- Byteball (GBYTE)
- Wings DAO (WINGS)
- Gnosis (GNO)
- Darcrus (DAR)
- Decred (DCR)
- Guppy (GUP)
- Basic Attention Token (BAT)
- Bancor (BNT)
- Aragon (ANT)
- Status Network Token
- TenXPay Token
- Bitcoin Cash
- EOS Token
- Neo (NEO)
- 0x Protocol (ZRX)
- Monaco (MCO)
- Metal (MTL)
- Patientory (PTOY)
- TokenCard (TKN)
- Mysterium (MYST)
- Numeraire (NMR)
- Salt (SALT)
- DigiByte (UTXO)
- Bitcoin Gold
- Ripio Credit Network
- Power Ledger
- Vechain (VET)
- Coinlancer (CL)
- Atlant (ATL)
- Centra (CTR)
- Tron (TRX)
- Komodo (KMD)
- Stox (STX)
- Monero Original (XMO)
- Bread Token (BRD)
Changelly Fees & Limits
Majority of the cryptocurrency exchanges takes commission from the users for every transaction and Changelly is not an exception. Given below is the list of fees which has to be paid by the user for purchasing the cryptocurrency coins.
When you are exchanging the altcoins, you need to pay two types of fees as given below:
- Commission – 0.5% for every transaction
- Network transaction fee – varies
To buy coins using credit card :
- Commission fee 5%
- Simplex processing fee 5% (min $10)
- Exchange/conversion rate fee will be applicable if you use any other currency and not USD/EUR.
All the card transactions on the Changelly platform are processed by Simplex.com.
There is no limit for exchanging from one crypto to another. But, when you are buying bitcoins or other altcoins using your credit card, then there are some limits which are given below.
- First transaction – from $50 to $10000
- Maximum daily limit – up to $20000
- Monthly limit – $50000
Even though you can exchange up to any amount in Changelly, it poses some restrictions for the first few transactions when using your credit / debit card.
- USA, Canada, and Australia – You can spend up to $50 limit for the 1st transaction and the next purchase can be made in 4 days (up to $100). After that, you can make a purchase of up to $500 after 7 days from the time of your first purchase. And, you cannot make more than 3 payments in the first week. There is no monthly limit.
- EU and other countries – You can spend up to $200 limit for the 1st transaction and the next purchase can be made in 4 days ( up to $200). After that, you can make a purchase of up to $500 after 7 days from the time of your first purchase. And, you cannot make more than 6 payments in the first week. There is no monthly limit.
- CIS region (Russia/Ukraine/Belarus/Kazakhstan/Armenia/Georgia) – You can spend up to $200 limit for the 1st transaction. You can make the purchase again after 24 hours. But the total limit for the 1st week is $2000 and for the 1st month, it is $10000.
Once a user has crossed the above mentioned limits, there is no further restrictions on using the bank card.
Coinbase is considered as the top most competitor for Changelly because it also supports buying various types of cryptocurrency coins.
Changelly Security Features
- 2-Factor authentication – Changelly provides the option of 2-factor authentication to make your transactions secure. What is 2FA? In order to login on your Changelly account, you need to enter a secondary password besides your login password. For that, you need a second device (a mobile phone) with the Google Authenticator app already installed. And, you need to use the key generated by the Google app for logging on to your account. This extra protection will help to prevent your account from unauthorized access.
- 3D secure cards – For providing a highly secure transaction, Changelly accepts only 3D secure cards for purchasing the bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies. Because 3D secure cards prompts the user to enter another passcode or key that will be sent to their email address or mobile phone. Besides that, the customers will receive a verification call on their mobile phone when they are using the card for the first time.
Changelly Customer Support
- If you have any queries or need to resolve any issues, you can directly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can click the ‘Support’ link on the footer of the home page and use the form to contact the support team.
- Changelly is available on the social networks like Facebook and Twitter. You can send a message to the support team using them as well.
Besides the above options, you can check out the ‘FAQs’ section on their website for clarifying your doubts. Also, you can refer to the tutorial posts on the Changelly blog to the learn the art of trading various cryptos.
Changelly Rating (Out of 10)
Changelly is a new company when compared with other reputed exchanges like Coinbase. Still, it managed to attract more than 1 million registered users all over the world.Even though there are no scam reports on the social media about Changelly, many users are raising complaints about the delay in the processing time due to the congestion of the network.
So, the new users should consider that point before starting their trading on Changelly. If you wish to buy any altcoins or tokens through Changelly, the best option will be to use another cryptocurrency instead of fiat currencies. Because the fiat currency purchase is associated with high transaction fees.